Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Review ~ The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

TITLE: The Fault in Our Stars 
AUTHOR: John Green
COPYRIGHT: 2012
TYPE: young adult
PAGES: 318
SERIES:  no

REASON FOR READ:

Besides sitting on my TBR pile forever this book has kind of blown up all over the web and I thought I should join the masses and see what all the fuss was about.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
Who are the MAJOR Characters?
Hazel
Augustus Waters

Who are the MINOR Characters?
Her parents
His parents and family
Isaac and Monica

What is this story about?
Well the summary about sums this up. Hazel has cancer in her lungs that while not growing are not going anywhere. Breathing is hard for her and she constantly feels as if she is drowning. She has become a self-imposed recluse until she meets Augustus Waters at a support group.

When is this story taking place?
No idea really could be at any modern time

Where are we at during this story?
Mainly in Hazel’s neighborhood and yes Augustus lives there as well. But we do manage to go to Amsterdam.

Why is the character acting the way he is or why is this happening?
They are 2 young teenagers in love who one has cancer and it is how anyone would act and behave when they find out shocking news.

How does it get resolved (SPOILERS MAY BE INCLUDED)
SO NOT GOING TO RUIN THIS FOR YOU

Will there be another?
No

Favorite part or line from story:
The quotes in general are wonderful but I love “the world is not a wish making machine”
Okay? Okay.

Overall thoughts:
Wow I have no idea where I should begin with this story. Holy cow and crap my gosh it is an emotional roller coaster. That one will have to finish in one setting so starting it at 10pm before bed is a really, really bad idea b/c you have to finish it. I also understand how a lot of adults can’t handle this book b/c they believe the teens are wise beyond their years. And I get that. I think what wrapped me up and wouldn’t let me go was the way the characters accepted death. Adult or child some people are just those people who can accept that nothing is going to change and be okay with it.
Others can’t handle it. While reading this book I found that I was crying during it and yet forgetting that these were teens. Would it have made it sadder yes but to be honest it was sad enough without having to remember that they were only teenagers. What hooked me was the depth of the characters to think this wisely during a time of mourning and death.
It is hard to image that someone so young can be so wise but then again if you had nothing to do all day but watch Top Model and sleep and contemplate your death don’t you think you would pick up a book or attempt to sharpen your mind? Then again I don’t doubt that it might be too much to ask of a teenager.
I did want to have more angst (if that is even possible) more this isn’t fair life sucks. But then again Hazel’s had this for a while folks so she might have already done the sucks life isn’t fair and I’m done crap.
Needless to say I have learned during my numerous years of reading to just sit back and enjoy the book. Not to over analysis it or look too deeply. This book is beautifully written about 2 people who have all the odds stacked against them and how they deal with an unfair draw. They didn’t roll over and die they fought in the way they knew how to best. It may work for you or it might be an eye roll book for you. All I know is that when I read this book it worked for me at that moment in time who’s to say in a week it would be the same.

FINALGRADES:
Plot/Story: A (a hard read but a good one)
Character Development: B There was a little growth
Emotional Reaction: A holy cow

Final Grade: A-

Would you recommend this story? Yes

Is this a part of a reading challenge? Yes New to me Author and Yearly challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment