Friday, December 14, 2012

Review ~ The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien

TITLE: The Hobbit
AUTHOR:
COPYRIGHT: originally 1937
TYPE: Fantasy
PAGES: 351
SERIES: yes it starts the whole thing off

REASON FOR READING: The MOVIE is COMING out TODAY!!! HORRAY

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
So I fully admit this is my first time into the world of JRR Tolkien and I wasn't sure what to expect. Thankfully I managed to read this before going to see the LOTR marathon, but that's another story. Anyway this starts off like any fantasy novel long and descriptive. The difference is simply the writing. From page one I was sucked in and couldn't let go. I wanted to know more about Bilbo and these characters. Why did this little hobbit play such a role in this story. Then the dwarfs showed up and I couldn't keep them straight to save my every loving life. There are a lot of characters in this book and their names are enough to drive any sane person insane.
Once you get pass that and learn you only need the main dwarfs name Thorin you are fine. And yes I am hoping against all hope I spelled his name correctly... HA I did. Any who moving on. This little hobbit who by nature shouldn't have any adventures since after all they are hobbits goes on the grandest adventure of all. He sets the stage for what is to come. He helps the dwarfs reclaim their mountain stolen by a dragon. He flies with giant eagles and rescues the dwarfs from GIANT spiders. He gets his gold and befriends elves. All in all this little guy goes on an adventure that I was extremely happy to go on with him. And to add to it more I get to go to the movie and see the book come to life.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? KEEPING!!!


Goodreads grade: 4 out of 5 stars

Oh and don't ruin the movie for me I can't see it til tomorrow and I'm dying to know how close it ties into the book!!!

Would you recommend this book? Already have and in fact I have bought it a few times to give to people

No comments:

Post a Comment