Saturday, May 17, 2014

Review ~ The Returned by Jason Mott

TITLE: The Returned
AUTHOR: Jason Mott
COPYRIGHT: 2014
TYPE: contemporary fiction
PAGES: 352
SERIES:  no

REASON FOR READING: 
Saw the show and had to see what the book was about.

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
Harold and Lucille Hargrave's lives have been both joyful and sorrowful in the decades since their eight-year-old son, Jacob, died tragically in 1966. In their old age they've settled comfortably into life without him…. Until one day Jacob mysteriously appears on their doorstep—flesh and blood, still eight years old.

All over the world people's loved ones are returning from beyond. No one knows how or why, whether it's a miracle or a sign of the end. Not even Harold and Lucille can agree on whether the boy is real or a wondrous imitation. But as chaos erupts around the globe, the newly reunited family finds itself at the center of a community on the brink of collapse, forced to navigate a mysterious new reality.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I was actually surprised by this book. I thought it was well written with enough tension to keep me hooked with this book. The show wasn’t as good but atlas I shall save that until a later review. Instead let’s focus on the book

THE PROBLEMS:
To many different POVs
Too many back stories that didn’t tie into the main story
I found it hard to really connect with anyone and just when I did we would switch POV
Never heard Bellemey’s side of the story until the end by then I no longer cared
Harold was too old to believe that he could be worth help and sick enough this shouldn’t have worked.

THE WINS
I enjoyed seeing the story from Lucille and Harold’s POV after all the main part of the story was about them until it was skipped around and around again to other POVs
The tension and the buildup was done nicely
The plot moved smoothly once one got the hang of the POV hopping
I enjoyed reading it and though it didn’t make me think too much it did make me question what would I do if I this situation actually started occurring

Are you keeping it or passing it on? I will pass it on simply not a re-read for me

Goodreads grade: 3 stars


Would you recommend this book? Yes I have to say that I would recommend this book solely based on the way it makes you question yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment