Thursday, March 13, 2014

Review ~ Unwind by Neal Shusterman

TITLE: Unwind
AUTHOR
COPYRIGHT: 2007 
TYPE: ebook
PAGES: 335
SERIES:  

Yes 3 so far
Unwind
UnWholly
UnSouled

REASON FOR READING: 
I have to say the summary alone is what hooked me on to this one

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives.

The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.



THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I really did enjoy this book. I would say that it is a hard read simply due to the material and it is hard to read that people would unwind kids for body parts. The thing that killed me was when we are present with a kid as he is being unwound. It was deep and very disturbing. I just wow this is a book that will haunt me for a while if not for a long time.  I like how even though he shows the bad part of the un-wounding he also shows a positive part to the unwinding. The really disturbing part was the fact that the parts we used still have memories of those that we took them from. I had a hard time following the world at first and wow then all of the sudden I was Connor, Risa or Lev and I was finally understanding the world. Once that clicked the book moved so smoothly and quickly that I was actually shocked that it was over. It had a nice wrap up and yet enough of an opening to leave for other books or it could have simply been done. For sure a book I will start recommending to everyone. 

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Keeping

Goodreads grade: I ended up giving it 4 stars because I truly enjoyed it but not enough to go back and re-read it and re-read it.

Would you recommend this book? Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment