Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday Favorites #1

Friday Favorites Hosted by: Tressa’s Wishful Endings
Description: Friday Favorites spotlights a favorite author, book, series, publisher, cover, blog, etc. Basically whatever bookish thing that you love, recommend, and want to tell others about. Just pick one and link up to Tressa’s post each Friday to share.

Sharing a review I did of this favorite:

TITLE: The Restorer
AUTHOR: Amanda Stevens
COPYRIGHT: 5/1/11
TYPE: Urban Fantasy
PAGES: 384
SERIES: Yes the first in a series

REASON FOR READING: The summary just looked amazing! I had to have it

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe.


It started with the discovery of a young woman's brutalized body in an old Charleston graveyard I've been hired to restore. The clues to the killer—and to his other victims—lie in the headstone symbolism that only I can interpret. Devlin needs my help, but his ghosts shadow his every move, feeding off his warmth, sustaining their presence with his energy. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I've vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the symbols lead me closer to the killer and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I was beyond surprised at how much I loved this book! First off the book is about a graveyard restorer (how often do you see that as a job description?) who sees ghost. Yeah you saw that right she works in a graveyard and yet sees ghost however, she pretends to not see them in order to protect herself. The problem she runs into Devlin who is haunted (has his own ghost that are attached to him) and she has a major attraction to. Things get weird from there. There is a dead body, a secret society, ghost, a mystery, more dead bodies, and well the mystery between what Devlin is doing to Amelia and how that is affecting her.

THINGS I LIKED:
- I loved Amelia she was a great character with a twist. She always played it safe until Devlin and now she is stuck in an attraction she knows can’t end well but for the life of her can’t stop. It is actually something I believed in not a we’re madly in love the moment we saw each other thing. Ms. Stevens did an excellent job of making me feel Amelia’s connection to Devlin and his personal struggles

- Did I mention that I loved the job that Amelia has. First off she restores graves and graveyards and she has a blog very cool!

-This book was not a romance but had enough of an attraction to draw me in. Plus I have to admit this book was creepy there were a few nights I had to sleep with the bathroom lights on. Trust when I say that it was creepy and yet it sucked me in and I had to finish it in order to find out who was killing all these people, and why was the killer communicating with Amelia?

-My gosh the author is very poetic I was surprised at how beautiful this author wrote. There were times the description was so well done I felt and smelled the things Amelia was doing and smelling. (Including the goose bumps and freak outs she had!)

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:
- If I had to pick one thing I didn’t enjoy about this book it would be the root doctor’s slang/talk/mumble stuff I had to skim past it the accent was bad.

-Other than that and the whole secret society plot line that you will have to read about in order to understand I loved this book!!!!

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Yeah this is a must re-read especially when the next one comes out!

Would you recommend this book? I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone looking for a good thriller/creepy feeling book with an excellent mystery!

Favorite Quotes:
Scorching fingers of sunrise began to creep over the horizon. A mild breeze stirred the palmetto fronds and deepened the scent of the magnolia blossoms that peeked like roosting doves from nests of dark, glossy leaves. Pg. 99 I believe? My kindle notes and I don’t get along!

This is when Amelia describes Devlin: secretive eyes and brooding demeanor were powerful libations to a closet romantic like me. In spite of his modern trappings, he had an old-world air about him. An intoxicating fusion of Byron, Bronte and Poe with a modern twist. And like the fictional creations of the aforementioned, he had a deadly weakness. He was a haunted man. ~ Love it!! Want to say page 11 I might be wrong bear with me on the kindle notes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment