Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Review ~ Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


TITLE: Harry Potter and the Soceres Stone
AUTHOR: J K Rowlings
COPYRIGHT: 1997
TYPE: Fantasy/Young Adult Fantasy
PAGES: 309
SERIES: yes

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

REASON FOR RE-READ: No idea other than I felt the need to dive back into this amazing world.

SUMMARY: {From Goodreads}
Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility. All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley--a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years. But all of that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry--and anyone who reads about him--will find unforgettable. For it's there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
During my re-read I realized that I devoured these books way to quickly the first time around. I absolute love this series but once I discovered it I torn through the pages like a mad man looking for a fix. Now I am able to sit back and savor each and every page. I am reminded how much the movies (while the first couple still to the basic) are completely different from the books. And honestly the movies just can not give you the fullness or richness of this world. However, that being said without the movies I wouldn't have an idea on how to picture some of the characters.

Things I enjoyed:
Watching Harry grow from the poor boy outcast to a rich but humble 11 year old. Thankfully he was raised by people who didn't appreciate him so when the time came for him to face all the fame his name represented he was able to go about it in a modest and humble manner.
I also enjoy the details that Ms. Rowlings gives us the readers when it comes to Harry's early home life and then we get to see the richness of the wizard world and learn with Harry about all the new things he is going to discover.
She is teaching us but at the same time it doesn't feel as if we are in a lecture. She has woven the story so well around the lessons I was sucked right in the first time and even more the second.
I love the over all themes she has in the books. Themes regarding friendships, relationships, good vs. evil, and family

Things I didn’t care for:
I believe the only thing I didn't care for was some of the descriptions. While I understood that this was a fantasy novel and who in the world had ever heard of Quidditch before this book? I didn't need a 6 page explaination on to the how and how nots, how it feels to fly on a broom (I'm confident that she never has), what the castle twist and turns must be like and how the pictures are always moving!
Other than that seriously no complaints I swear.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? I will continue to keep this series who knows in a few years I may go back and re-read them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment