Saturday, February 27, 2010

Have you ever?

Have you ever bought a book based solely on the cover? I will be the first to admit even though I don't believe you should judge a book by its cover I will still purchase books that way.... I mean take these covers for example:

FLU by Wayne Simmons well obviously this is going to either be a horror novel or a really scary book. And if it isn't you are personally going to be slightly pissed but admit it you are slightly curious no?

Then there is this book by Michelle Sagara and honestly if I wasn't already reading this series I would more than likely pick this book up simply b/c of the cover. For example I know this book is about fantasy and magic just solely based on her pose and the colors and it may or may not have a strong female lead role which I happen to like currently...
Now I understand that sometimes the covers don't have anything to do with what's inside and sometimes the covers don't even match what the person looks like but still I do think you can get an idea of what you are reading based on the cover...

Like this for instance solely based on the cover we know that this book is more than likely steam punk the latest new trend to come out of the Urban Fantasy craze. How do I know this besides the fact I'm reading the first one. Simply based on the outfit the character is wearing and the blimp like thing floating by her head on the left. That is not something you would've typically seen in the Victorian time period but in steam punk you will see it more and more. They dress and act like Victorian times but have equipment and technology far advanced. Plus with this particular series we also get vamps, werewolves and soulless creatures that are very interesting


Okay but let's take a book that I've never read nor heard anything about and see if I can guess it... Now I'm pretty sure this is the cover that had all the controversy surrounding it due to the weirdness of the cover to some. If I had to guess what type of book this was I would say YA that have something to do with water, snakes and death. However, now that I've said all that I would think it is more of an Urban Fantasy type series and probably not young adult... Tempest Rising might be a succubus like novel let's see what Amazon says...

Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society. During her nightly, clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half-human. Now, Jane must enter a world filled with supernatural creatures alternatively terrifying, beautiful, and deadly- all of which perfectly describe her new "friend," Ryu, a gorgeous and powerful vampire. It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: a dog can heal with a lick; spirits bag your groceries; and whatever you do, never-ever-rub the genie's lamp.

Well I was some what right. Any who you are starting to get the point. I wouldn't buy the last cover b/c it just isn't my taste in covers but now the story sounds interesting so I might change my mind... I will show you one final cover that has blown me out of the water! I have got to read this series! (and yes that is solely based on the cover!)

No comments:

Post a Comment